Kendall Chrysler is very excited to get the new Chrysler Pacifica Hybrids on the lot. Not only has the Chrysler Pacifica earned several awards this year, but it is also the only minivan that qualifies as an I.I.H.S Top Safety Pick+ and it is the most fuel efficient minivan on the market. However, we are aware that a lot of consumers don’t know a lot about hybrids or PHEVs so we are going to clear things up.
The 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid is actually a type of a hybrid vehicle, it is a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV). What this means is that this type of hybrid has such a large battery that it needs to be plugged-in to recharge. A PHEV is different than a hybrid vehicle because the battery in a hybrid vehicle is much smaller and it doesn’t need to be plugged-in to recharge because it is either charged by the motor which gets energy from the engine or regenerative braking.
Like hybrids, PHEVs can be powered by the battery, or the engine, or a combination of both. But since a PHEV has a much larger battery, PHEVs can travel significantly farther on only the battery. When the vehicle is only powered by the battery, it releases zero tailpipe emissions.
So let’s take a look at all of the PHEV equipment and details of the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.
- The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid is equipped with a modified version of Chrysler’s beloved 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine, two electric motors and a 16 kWh lithium-ion battery.
So what do all of those things do for the Pacifica Hybrid’s fuel economy? When dealing with PHEVs, there are a four different numbers that indicate the vehicle’s fuel economy.
- One is the range of the vehicle when it is only powered by the battery (total electric range), and the Pacifica Hybrid has a total electric range of 33 miles.
- Second, is MPGe, which is a combined fuel economy when the battery and engine work together (hybrid mode) and this is considered the equivalent of MPG. The Pacifica Hybrid has an average of 84 MPGe.
- Third, is the fuel efficiency of only the engine (MPG) and the Pacifica Hybrid’s engine has a fuel economy of 32 MPG, which is up from the non-hybrid Pacifica’s fuel economy of 22 MPG.
- Finally, there is the vehicle’s total range, which is the total distance a vehicle can travel with a fully charged battery and a full tank of gas. The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid has a total distance of 570 miles.
So what is the charging time for the battery on the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid?
- The battery can be recharged in two hours with a 240-volt Level II charger and with a 120-volt charger, the battery takes about 14 hours to fully charge.