Quick Towing Guide for Dodge and Ram Trucks
Spring is here and summer is just around the corner which means it’s time for boating, fishing, and water sports. Do you have a truck or SUV to tow a boat or jetski? If not and you need one, check out this guide for help! Not only will we teach you the tips and tricks for towing, but show you which vehicle best fits your needs.
When it comes to towing there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Towing capacity
- Hitch classes:
- Tongue weight
- Trailer weight
- Diesel engines generally tow more than gas engines due to their increased torque
- Bigger axle ratios generally have a higher towing capacity
- If you will be using a boat ramp, four-wheel drive is a wise choice
Here’s a quick guide of the weights of common towable water vessels.
- Jet Ski: 300 – 500 pounds
- Small boat: 2,000 – 9,000 pounds
- Boats up to 39’: 10,000 to 16,000 pounds
- Boats up to 45’: 15,000 to 25,000 pounds
Check out our Dodge and Ram inventory at Kendall Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram to find the perfect towing vehicle for you.