Tips On How to Remove Jeep Wrangler JL Tops
Photo credit: Jeep
For those who have recently purchased a Jeep Wrangler JL, we know how excited the feeling of owning one can be. Now, removing the soft or hardtop is tricky, but we hope to make it easier with these simple steps to enjoy having the top down and letting the sun and breeze in. Let’s get right into it.
Soft Top Removal
Looking for a simple removal guide for a new 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL? We have the step-by-step guide. The Jeep Wrangler Sunrider soft top has a total of four parts to remove carefully – the roof, each rear side window and the rear windshield. The soft top roof will slide back almost like a convertible once unlocked. Start with opening the soft top lock and then move to remove the side rear windows. A solid column is simple enough to lift off, but will be locked into the back corner of the vehicle. Below are the total steps to follow for removing the soft top:
- Start by opening the trunk and find the plastic tabs built into the bottom folds of the rear windshield covering. The folds will be tucked underneath the window sill and easily snap out.
- Slowly move the rear windshield side flap and secure a solid grip, this allows for a simple slide of the entire rear windshield off as it will easily go off the left side of the vehicle. Once removed, store this piece in the trunk.
- Next, find the column of the rear window near the trunk. Choose either side to pop out and easily peel back the velcro that is connected to the rear window of the soft top.
- Now that both rear side windows are detached and safely secured in the trunk, look for the two black latches that are on the middle of the cabin. Simply move the vanity mirror below and each latch can be pulled down and opened. Once both latches are pulled, the soft stop will be able to be removed.
- This part is easier with another person helping, but one person can lift the soft top off. While raising up the top, push up and backward to allow for the soft top to slowly fall back into where the track leads.
- Now that the soft top is pulled back, find a latch connected to the top to pull it down completely. Then, lock the top so it won’t move back or raise while driving. The soft top locks is located where the joints of the soft pair to the frame of the Jeep.
- With a simple tug, ensure the lock was properly placed and that the soft top doesn’t move forward as the most the soft top should move is just as few inches up. Congratulations, the Sunrider soft top is off and the Jeep Wrangler is now topless. Enjoy the sun and breeze while driving.
Unlike the soft top removal, this will be a two-person job. While nothing is impossible, we highly recommend the help of another pair of hands to handle moving the hardtop. Keep in mind, there isn’t just one long piece for the hard top; there’s actually three total pieces. Luckily, both the driver and front passenger panel are both easy to take off. The rest of the roof is just a tad heavy, but not so much with that helping hand. There ares multiple looks the Jeep Wrangler hardtop provides and configuring the look is up to driver preference. To take off the hardtop, follow these steps:
- A total of eight latches inside the Wrangler cabin will need to be removed to begin the process. There are two directly behind the vanity mirrors that can be easily popped out and the other six will have to be turned inward towards the cabin to be removed. All of them require no real force to turn.
- While pushing up either panel, keep in mind these latches can be taken off one by one. We recommend to store these parts in the trunk. Just like that, the front part of the hard top is finished.
- Find the Jeep Wrangler tool kit that comes standard every owner. Locate this tool kit in the glove compartment or rear storage. All the tools needed are included.
- There are a few parts to ensure proper removal of the back part of the hardtop. Find the windshield wiper fluid line, water hose and nozzle and attached electrical cables in the back of the truck on the driver’s side. Simply hit the red switch and tug down on the electrical cable housing to clip off the piece, then securely place everything into the adjacent platform. The windshield wiper fluid line disconnects fairly simply and fits into its electrical cable housing.
- There area total of six screws that hold the top in place along the sides of the Jeep Wrangler JL. With the use of the tool kit, simply remove each one of them. Find three on each side. Each screw can be placed in the back rear, near the tailgate where Jeep has installed special holding grommets for each screw.
- There’s also space for two more screws that are connected to the frame of the Wrangler and the hardtop. Find those two remaining screws on the front corner and place the screws with the other six after taking them out. The process is almost complete.
- This is the heavy lifting part that requires a helping hand; unless heavy lifting is something that comes easily, we recommend getting a friend.
- The hardtop roof should be stored away in a garage or in a safe place. The hardtop roof of the Wrangler is a little large to store inside the trunk, so finding another spot is the safe choice.
The best part about the new generation Jeep Wrangler is helping owners out with an easy-to-remove hard and soft top. The Sky OneTouch Power Top will be available in late 2018 or early 2019. Find the latest 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL with us at Kendall Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram.
Jeep Vehicles + Trusted Maintenance Help + Friendly Staff = Your One Stop Shop
Your source for everything Jeep related, including the latest Jeep vehicles is none other than Kendall Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram. Let us be your safety net with a check up to make sure you’re ready this summer for any travels. From oil changes to ensuring your vehicle runs smoothly, we can handle everything so you can enjoy your Jeep ride. Stop by today for a test-drive and see for yourself what owning a Jeep vehicle can mean for you!